Monday, October 15, 2007

How to keep an 11-yr-old happy

Seva is a boy I tutor in English, and he often has behavioral problems. We have a lot of "power struggles" where he tries to be in control of the lesson. "Let's leave the tv on," "Give me 5 stickers," "Let's play the new game I made up," etc. Today he had a new textbook, so there was incentive to study. We read through an alphabet poem.

Then we got to R. "R is for robot."

"Read in a robot voice," Seva commanded. For some reason I complied. He liked it so much that we read through the poem a few times (taking turns).

So it seems that all this time, all I had to do was speak in a robot voice. I should try it with my other students and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...