Friday, January 4, 2008

Hymn #5: One for the bad days

Wow, it's been a while. I'm going to get back into blogging with a hymn called "My God, My Father, Though I Stray" by Charlotte Elliot. It's a bit heavy, but it seems to me that it's good to have hymns for when life is tough. Recently, singing hymns (silently) helped me get through a trip to the dentist. It was either that or hyperventilate.




My God and Father! while I stray
Far from my home in life’s rough way,
Oh! teach me from my heart to say,
“Thy will be done!”

Though dark my path, and sad my lot,
Let me “be still,” and murmur not,
Or breathe the prayer divinely taught,
“Thy will be done!”

What though in lonely grief I sigh,
For friends beloved, no longer nigh,
Submissive still would I reply,
“Thy will be done!”

If Thou shouldst call me to resign
What most I prize, it ne’er was mine;
I only yield Thee what was Thine;
“Thy will be done!”

Should pining sickness waste away,
My life in premature decay,
My Father! still I strive to say,
“Thy will be done!”

If but my fainting heart be blest
With Thy sweet Spirit for its guest,
My God! to Thee I leave the rest--
“Thy will be done!”

Renew my will from day to day,
Blend it with Thine, and take away
All now that makes it hard to say,
“Thy will be done!”

Then when on earth I breathe no more
The prayer oft mixed with tears before,I
’ll sing upon a happier shore,
“Thy will be done!”

1 comment:

  1. What a good way to get through the dentists, I needed taht last monday when I went, it was a very painful experience. It was great seeing you while you were visiting! I'm looking forward to reading many more of your blogs over the next year till I see you again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...