Monday, March 31, 2008

There and back again

This morning I left at 6am for Estonia. The bus was nice and empty, so I slept most of the way there. I had no trouble getting across the border, although it took a while and I was cranky.


My ticket said that I would be in Estonia at 10am, and my clock said 11am Russian time, so I assumed that meant that Estonia was one hour behind. When we arrived, however, the clocks around town said 9:00. Hmmmm...Maybe they hadn't changed their clocks yet, which happened yesterday in Russia.


I got off the bus and it was a beautiful spring day, so I decided to go find the fortress that I had seen from the border and take some photos. Yes, this time I had a working camera!


I basically felt like I was in Russia, except that everything was really quiet and still and cars stopped for pedestrians.
There are a lot of WWII memorials around like this one:



I found a path down to the river on the border.


The fortress ended up being pretty boring close up.

I found the railroad trestle more interesting...



After I had explored for awhile, I headed back towards the bus station to check out the town. I noticed that all the clocks were still 2 hours behind Russian time even though they were supposed to be 1 hour behind, so I wondered if my return ticket had the wrong time. It was very confusing. I even asked someone and she said the same thing, 12:00 (versus 2:00 in Russia).

Finally I went to the bus station to make sure. I walked in and the clock said 1:00. One hour off from the other clocks in town. I asked the man at the counter, "Is it 12:00 or 1:00?" "1:00," he said, pointing at the clock and sounding irritated.

Oh well, at least I hadn't missed my bus.

Before I left, I visited an Orthodox church. Because a Russian experience wouldn't be complete without it....


On the way back I crossed the border really easily. The funny part was that at the border crossing I saw one of my friends from St.Petersburg, driving with her parents. She came over and we chatted. So much for scary Russian border control!

I slept on the way back too. Sleep is good.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing. I am impressed with Estonia if drivers stop for pedestrians!! I wonder how they managed to teach that?

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...