Sunday, January 18, 2009

Girly stuff

My sister Anastasia is getting married this summer, and I spent the day with her at a bridal expo. We don't get to spent a lot of time together, so it was fun. Nastia got to wear a sticker that identified her role in the wedding.



We went around to all the booths collecting information and free gifts. I dutifully sampled all the cakes while Nastia looked at brochures and interviewed potential videographers.



There were tons of products and services that I never would have even thought of. We saw dresses modeled on a runway, dance demonstrations, caterers, tooth whitening services, ring cleanings, midwife services (not kidding... but no demonstrations, thankfully), honeymoon tour agencies, fancy chair covers, hair/makeup artists, dj's, etc. We checked out a few limousines as well as a "party bus."

We also sampled a photo booth that you could rent for your wedding. You get instant photos of your guests which they can then potentially paste into the guestbook accompanying a note.

Here we are wearing our complimentary lei's that we got at a hula demonstration. I think it goes great with my Russian winter coat...




A mother and daughter were running a tattoo/caricature station. Nastia sat for a caricature while I sampled some more food.

It's not a very close resemblance...



I can see how it would be easy to get carried away. I could imagine planning a simple, frugal wedding and then hitting the bridal expo and getting tempted by all the offerings. I mean, how could I resist a chocolate fountain or a ride in a horse and carriage?

Even in a time of economic crisis, consumerism manages to prevail...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...