Monday, June 15, 2009

Signs of commitment

Yesterday's Sunday Times contained a piece on a young teen who initiated his family into going to church on Sundays. You can read the online version of the article here.

By the end of the article, the family was attending regularly, and the mother had signed up to bring a carrot salad to a church picnic. I found it interesting that the article ended on this note rather than something related to spirituality or being "born again." But bringing something to a picnic speaks volumes. It signifies: 1) a commitment to future involvement and 2) a sense of ownership.

At what point do we realize we're committed to something? I decided to evaluate my own experiences...

I often find it difficult remembering milestone decisions...or at least, the details of what led me to choose that particular path. I think that we sometimes begin to act and see the fruit of our commitment without realizing that we've made a decision. When big opportunities come up, we've already spent time analyzing our position on the matter, and our hearts and minds are in a condition to make a decision.

It's often little things that show how our hearts have changed. The first words we speak after forgiving someone might be laughably simple..."What do you want for dinner?" It's in our body language; how we dress; which section of books we are drawn to at the library.

5 comments:

  1. Хорошая традиция может получиться с салатами. Нужно взять на заметку! :)

    Согласен, что подлинным знаком обращения являются перемены в жизни человека. Еф. 4:20-32

    ReplyDelete
  2. Да, нужно придумать эквивалент для нашей церкви. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grieving tonight, because my dear friend, a missionary who had a huge impact on my life in my early christian days, has passed away. If you care to check a website set in his memorial, you can find more info here:

    http://www.ilasting.com/cmbrown.php

    I loved Carl. He was only 44. I get sick to my stomach thinking of his early passing away. Why Lord? Angie is left with 4 kids? Why Lord?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that, Vitali. Was he someone you knew in Russia? It must have been quite a shock to hear of his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Carl was a big influence on my life back in Tatarstan. He and I were friends at one point, spending quite a bit of time together talking about spiritual matters. He and Angie were such a lovely couple.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...