Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Stop-start life


Poor bunny, that carrot doesn't seem so appealing to him right now.

As much as I've tried to get on a regular schedule this fall, I seem to get bursts of energy and then crash.

One of my textbooks pointed out that this is part of Russian culture and is a remnant of peasant life: periods of quiet, alternating with intense periods of labor, due to the harvest season.

Last week was school vacation week, so I didn't have to go to the orphanage in the afternoons. Not to mention, November 4th was "Unity Day," so I had a whole day off. I was planning to spend the week catching up with friends whom I haven't seen since getting back to Russia. But I got sick right after the church retreat, and had very little energy to do anything other than attend class in the mornings. more/-


I was a bit nervous about this being a full work week. It sounded so daunting. I realize that for most people, this is normal life, but it felt like I had had a lot of false starts and then got interrupted by sickness or other distractions. So a whole new week stretching out before me seemed like a mountain too big to climb.

But the week is actually going fine. And with two days behind me, the end is in sight!

I still need to do my homework, but my energy burst has ended. Oops!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe THAT is one reason I think of my work as akin to a "family farm" - not just the involvement of the family. A huge "harvest" as we start up in the fall....and "planting season" ...all the intense work associated with Holy Week and Easter, then First Communion. Very cyclical.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...