Monday, July 12, 2010

Keeping up and pleasant surprises

Does it ever get old? ...the thrill of receiving an awaited piece of paper; a report card, diploma, plane ticket, letter, paycheck, etc...

I did battle with the Fed-Ex drop box on my first day back in the States. I was determined to get my visa application in the mail, but was having trouble focusing.

I had the forms, but no envelope. I stared at the drop box and wondered where to get one. I circled the machine like a predator checking out its prey. Then I poked at a flap, which opened to reveal supplies! Oh, and a sign read "lift for supplies." All of this seemed so foreign...

I had struggled with the visa application (and won) while in Russia, so no delays there. After about 30 minutes of wrestling with the Fed-Ex billing slip, I was ready. The sticky label buckled as I placed it on the envelope, but I wasn't about to rewrite it for the second time. It would have to do.  continue/-

Next stop, the bank. I walked in and headed to where the deposit envelopes used to be. Where were they now? I walked inside, circled the table where there were various forms. No envelopes. I went back outside to the ATM and read the "envelope-less" deposit notice. What...how...?

I stuck the check I was depositing into the little slot and the machine ate it up with a WHIR. Seconds later, the contents of my check showed up on the screen, and then a receipt with a mini-version printed out. Crazy!

Moral of the story, read the signs. And expect lots of change if you haven't been in your home country for awhile!

Even before I had time to check the Fed-Ex tracking number to see if my visa application had made it, the Fed-Ex guy was ringing the doorbell and handing me an envelope. My visa is already here! It only took a week. What am I going to do without the drama?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...