Friday, June 16, 2017

Remembering


While gathering some notes about my late grandfather to help process his passing, I was surprised that I hadn't blogged about my trip to Budapest with my grandparents and older brother back in 2007. That was my first year of blogging when I was pretty regular. There's just a gap during those dates. But, it was a great vacation, so I'm glad I spent the time enjoying myself and their company.

Trying out some local goulash, perhaps?

Cow sculptures in  Budapest


With my bro and grandmother
I was way more creative about photography back then!
 Came out kind of ominous, though.
Sibling room service! Back when we were both single...

10 years seems like a long time ago, but my grandfather hasn't been well for the past 5-6 years, so that was one of the last more active adventures. It was so nice that they made it to our wedding though in 2011!

I want to go back and think of some childhood memories.

In the meantime, I was thinking about how it can be an odd feeling when someone dies whom you don't see very often. Since I don't tend to make it to funerals due to living abroad, I don't have that final goodbye...and what is sometimes a final gathering with that exact group of people. Daily life doesn't really feel any different, but somewhere deep down there is the knowledge that you won't see that person again in this life...and that his/her earthly suffering is over.

4 comments:

  1. Emily, So sorry to hear of the passing of your grandfather. Your post today explains the picture that Emily posted earlier on Instagram.
    May the memories of the times you spent with him help to ease your sorrow and sadness. I will be praying for you and all of your family.
    Heather (Miner) Dandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! As you may recall this was my mother's stepfather, and her father (also remarried) had passed away a few years ago.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clarifying that Elizabeth. I thought that was your mom's stepfather from the picture. I knew that her dad had passed a few years ago. I sent her a card, which she sent on to Netta and I got a very nice note from Netta.

      Delete
  2. I am very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...